Race Report // WTNC Glenlyon, June 28

11:22 AM

Tuesday nights. I always look forward to getting out and playing at the crits on Tuesday nights. After the previous week's challenging race at UBC, I was looking forward to racing the fast and flat course at Glenlyon this week.

I felt nervous, because I would be racing on the Argon. It's not technically my bike, and it's fancy (to me). I was scared of dropping it, but not scared enough not to race. I used the Argon at the UBC race the other week too, and I think that along kept me from riding crazy. Last thing I want to do is destroy a beautiful bicycle.

The women's cat 4 field was decently large, though not as big as some races - it seems that a lot of the girls are starting to move up into the cat 1, 2, 3.

The race pace was quick, but the pack held together well. There were a couple coaches riding with their girls on this race - and one coach in particular seemed to get in people's way. It was quite annoying, and I lost my line a couple times to this coach, to the point where I was pushed up against the curb. Not cool.

I certainly feel more comfortable taking the corners now, but I keep seeming to get stuck behind or next to girls who don't. I had to brake a few times to avoid being hit or hitting someone's rear end because they were braking a lot in the corners. I really hope they get the hang of this soon! Last thing I want to do is cause a crash.

There's also still a few girls that are a bit sketchy to ride near, braking, not taking turns pulling, moving in random directions without any warning. I have a good idea who to look out for.

My plan for this race was again, to disrupt team formations. Didn't happen a whole heck of a lot, because I kept getting boxed in and had difficulty advancing and positions.

Prime lap was taken by some adorable tiny gal -- good job on that sprint!

Unlike the last race, the pack stuck together pretty well after the prime lap.

On the last lap, I tried to keep a front position, to be in the top ten. I pushed from the last corner to the finish line, passing a number of other riders. I was happy with my placement, but I know I had a lot more in me in terms of energy and improvement. I didn't give this race my all.

Next race, I need to work on exhausting all my energy and concentration on the race.

You Might Also Like

0 comments