Mini Bike Tour Weekend to Victoria

9:39 AM

My partner is known for going on really, really long bike rides. 200km, 300km, 400km rides...followed by an 'easy' ride recovery day of 100km +. He's a bit nuts. But I like it.

He has done a few bicycle touring trips, and he really enjoys them. I had never done anything like that. Until this weekend.

I agreed to go on a mini bicycle tour to Vancouver Island, to the city where I was born...Victoria.

Day 1 - Vancouver to Tsawwassen, Swartz Bay to Victoria

I booked us a cheap hotel, packed my bag, sent the dog to a pet sitter, and pulled on the lycra.

We hopped on our bikes after work on the Friday, and headed towards the Tsawwassen ferry terminal. Since bikes aren't allowed to ride through some tunnel, we had to take a long way around - riding all the way down River Road, and then over the Alex Fraser Bridge, and all the way back along River Road. Of course, the distance was only worsened by the fact that we had to fight a head wind nearly the entire way on the second half of River Road and all the way to the ferry.

We were also on a deadline. The ferry would leave at 7pm. We didn't leave any space in our timing to get lost or for any mishaps. So what happens? We get lost, of course! We took one wrong turn and ended up having to find our way through the scenic Ladner, rather than the more direct route.

The change in route, and slower pace, meant that we were ultimately late for the ferry. It wasn't as if we didn't try to catch the 7pm. I tried best as I could to sprint as if my life was ending, to keep up with Corey, in a head wind, with a big back pack, and we still missed the ferry. We were a couple minutes too late. 5 minutes after 7. The ticket clerk wouldn't let us on or sell us a ticket...even though the ferry was not finished loading yet.

You can view my Strava trip details here.

What a stump in our trip plans!

After finding something to eat at the ferry terminal, we impatiently waited for the 9pm ferry to arrive. Once on the ferry, I tried to get a hold of the hotel we booked, to let them know we would be late. There was no answer and no answering machine...turns out that the hotel closed at 9pm. So not only would we be arriving into Victoria late, but we would have no hotel booked.

Corey and Katrinna on the Ferry
Sunset on the Ferry

Corey
We arrived into Victoria, Swatrz Bay after dark, around 10:30pm. It began to rain just as we left the ferry and the rain drops continued for about a half-hour. It was around this time that I realized that my chamois was not comfortable, something was rubbing, and I was starting to get saddle sores. THIS WAS NOT NORMAL! I haven't had too many issues with saddle sores...and here, on day one of our bike-packing trip, I was developing some. SHIT. Wieners.

The ride into downtown Victoria was pleasant, especially after the rain stopped. The bicycle route was well-marked and spacious - we were able to ride side by side nearly the entire way. Some of the route was a gravel pathway through trees and farms, and very quiet and eerie. I nearly got hit in the face by a bat, who decided it didn't like the way I looked. Holy f'n scary! I've never seen a bat that close before, and it nearly made me fall off of my bike.

This leg of the journey is on Strava here.

We arrived into downtown Victoria near midnight, found a hotel along the bike path and got a room for the night. It was a bit more expensive than the hotel we had booked, but it was a place to sleep and clean up. Showering felt amazing!

The hotel bar downstairs was still open, so we treated ourselves to a beer. We just rode about 100km...it was a very well deserved beer. A Facebook friend of mine came to join us, and took us on a cruise to a local pizza joint --- delicious!

The night ended late and we zonked out quite quickly.

Day 2 - Victoria to Sooke, to the Meadery, and Return

On the second day, we checked out of the hotel, cycled across a bumpy pedestrian bridge to Esquimalt, found coffee and breakfast, then headed on a tour towards Sooke.

The cafe we found in Esquimalt was super neat! It was a bike shop, combined with a bakery, combined with a coffee bar - they all shared one space, but had separate service counters. We shared a meaty, bready sandwich; I had a tasty Americano.

After our tummies were satisfied, we found our way to the (again, well marked) bicycle path, and started the trek to Sooke.

The roads were peaceful and quiet for the most part, and the bicycle lanes were well-marked. In many parts, the bicycle paths were off of the road and hidden in the bushes, they were wide, but shared with pedestrians. They felt like bicycle highways. We had no problem navigating our way to Sooke and only ended up minorly lost once. The highway out to Sooke was clear of debris and quick. Though, the saddle sores I had accumulated the day before were really being a pain in the ass. Literally. No amount of chamois butter was helping.

When we got into Sooke we were hangry. Almost to the point of fighting. So we made rest at a restaurant and devoured lunch. I attempted to eat a gigantic bowl of poutine...to no avail. Corey had the most amazing soup and sandwich. Once full, fat and happy, I decided I wanted to cycle the extra 10km further and visit Tugwell Creek Meadery. I had heard about the place when I worked at the fruit winery, but I had never been. Now was the time.

Corey on the Bicycle Pathway

Forever Butt Photos
Couples Who Play Together
The 10km seemed long. After leaving Sooke, there was no more nice, wide shoulder to ride on. We were forced to ride on the road. A narrow road. A beautiful road, by any means, but given the grey and rainy weather we were riding in, riding on the road didn't feel very safe. I was starting to regret the 10km decision.

We arrived at the meadery - it was just off the road on a gravel driveway. A tiny little house converted into a tasting room, and a small collection of farm animals out front. There were signs directing guests on their own walking tour of the property, which took all of three minutes to complete.

The folks in the tasting room guided us through a tasting of the mead, and Corey really enjoyed it, so we rearranged our pockets and he managed to fit a 750ml bottle of mead into his jersey pocket. Dangerous, knowing that wine can fit in jerseys. We may have to do a winery tour soon!

Honey Farm and Meadery
The Honey Farm

The trip back didn't seem so long and laborious as I expected. I was certainly feeling the saddle sore pain, and my legs were still tired from the 100km of riding the day before. I was a bit slow up the hills getting out of Sooke. Once we were on the bike path headed back though, it was no problem to keep a decent pace.
View our mead and Sooke Strava here

Katrinna, Looking Serious
Cycling Selfie

We managed to arrange a hotel room for night two without hassle. It felt good to take off the shorts, crack open a (warm) bottle of mead, shower and clean up. The hotel room was far from clean-feeling...the cupboards were sticky, there was gunk in the drains, the floor looked dirty. And the stupid place cost over $100+ for the night! Batshit crazy, I tell ya'.

For dinner, we met up with some friends at a local brew pub downtown. I was so happy it was only a short walk to get there. The bikes took a break and stayed locked up at the room.

Beer and food went into our bellies all too easily too!

The end of the night came at a decent time - our bodies were far more than ready to retire.

Day 3 - Car-Free Sunday + Trekking Back Home

Sunday was very much a 'rest-till-you-have-to-check-out' kind of day. My butt and lady-bits were still sore as f*** from all the riding we had already done the two days prior. It was bloody hot out. We needed sunscreen. I was hungry. I didn't pack enough pairs of socks - so I had to wear a dirty pair. The shorts that I hand-washed weren't quite dry.

I could find endless, unimportant factors of the day that made me feel as if it was ok to complain. That is, until I got some food in my belly.

We found breakfast downtown in amongst the Car Free Day events and hustle. We stumbled upon a little vegan, gluten free hippie cafe. I got a muffin, an Americano and ordered some eggs for breakfast. Cost me nearly $20. The cashier was not friendly at all, nor was she helpful. I think someone might have pissed in her Cheerios that day.

The apple cinnamon muffin tasted like vegetables. I didn't detect even a dash of cinnamon. Breakfast was fine.

We didn't stay for long downtown, because we knew we had the ride back. Corey took me along the scenic route through the Victoria harbour and out along the water. It was a beautiful ride, and I really would suggest you that you check it out. Go now. 

Scenic Route to the Ferry click here.

The Bikes
Couple Selfie!

It was actually kind of a romantic sort of ride.
There were birds singing, the sun was shining, the two of us were going along on our bikes, smiles on our face, flowers in our hair....ok, perhaps that's a bend of the truth, but I think you get the idea. The ride takes you quite a ways along scenic ocean side streets, up a few hills and one steep kicker, before spitting you back inland and towards the pathway that leads to the Swartz Bay ferry terminal. 

It was nice to sit on the ferry, to rest the legs, and to mentally prepare for the trek back home once we arrived on the Mainland. I knew we had River Road to conquer, in two directions, and I knew that at least one of the directions would be plagued with head winds. Certainly not my favourite route. 

My lady bits (I know, I talk about them a lot) were sore. It hurt to put much pressure on my seat. My legs were tired from the amount of riding we had done, and I was starting to get hangry. We took a different route back home so that I didn't have to do River Road...it meant a slower ride, but avoided that whole section. Not sure if it was worth it. Either way, I was more than happy to get homee, peel out of the lycra, shower, eat and sleep. 

Our last leg of the journey here.

In total, we rode over 100km each day, spent 4 hours on the ferry, 2 hours waiting for a ferry, climbed nearly 2000m and spent wayyyyy too much on hotel rooms. We also had some amazing moments, say beautiful sunsets, got to spend time with friends and drink beer. It was a great weekend, and I can't wait to do another trip like that!

Have you been to the island via bicycle? Where did you go? Share your story in the comments! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments