Learning to Lose, and Why You Should Cat Up

10:09 AM

I've never been an overly speedy cyclist, and racing is new to me. Though I had been on a mountain bike for years before I started wearing Lycra and getting into drop-bars, I was certainly the slow and steady style rider, preferring to take the easy ride-rounds than the crazy-ass-obstacles. I never raced a bike or had any desire to speed up, until I met cyclocross. Heck, I had never really done much racing of any kind! (Unless you count Mario Kart)

So, you can imagine my surprise when I dished out money for an entry-level CX bike, signed up for my first race (Donkey CX 2015) and landed a not-so-bad result for my first time! You can imagine my even further surprise when I finished the 2015 season strong, and started racing Intermediate women in 2016. I didn't podium at every race in 2016, but I did enough that for this year, I am moving myself up into the Elite/Expert women category.

Before the start of this season, to prep myself for racing the faster, stronger women, I hired a coach to help me learn to train. I've NEVER trained for something like this before. I've never run a marathon, the longest triathlon I've ever attempted was a sprint distance, and I can't run more than 5km without my knee wanting to dislocate from my body. I eat donuts like they are going out of style, and I still ride pretty slowly when no one is watching. I am not, I repeat, fast. Sure, maybe I'm faster than I was when I started, and maybe I'm faster than some other women out there (who are just starting) but compared to the women racing Cat 1-2, I am NOT fast. So, my goal with a coach was to learn how to train myself to get faster...

Give me a technical course, or give me death. Honestly, those straight, flat sections in CX races kill me. Give me mud, roots, technical bits, and less straight, flats, and not only will I have more fun, but I'll perform better too...relatively speaking, I need to work on my SPEED.

See the trend here? I'm not that fast.

I prepped myself mentally for the reality that I would be facing in the 2017 CX racing season...moving up into the elite/expert category would mean that I was no longer going to be at the front of the pack. I was no longer going to be on the podium. I had become so accustomed to winning, or being top 5, in the last two seasons, that I knew it would be a shock to my system when I lost. Don't get me wrong, I've been last before! (CrossVegas USAC, fat bike racing)

I had my first taste of racing the faster women at the MIVA Mid-Season CX Race in Nanaimo, where the field was broken into two groups, one faster, one slower. I came in dead last after my closest competitor dropped out mid-race. Needless to say, I was sad. I was embarrassed. Heck, I had my mom come out and watch, and she got to watch me lose. Certainly was not proud of that result.

Last weekend, at the first Cross On The Rock race of the season, Pro City GP in Victoria, I again, did not place in the top half. I was second to last, and only because there was a brave soul racing on a single speed bike (KUDOS to you!!).

The hardest part about not being able to keep up with the pack, is that you end up racing alone. The race becomes a mind game and it becomes overly tempting to give up. I personally find that I slow down and don't "race" when I have no one in close sight to chase or get away from. It's far more fun to race when there's people with you.

So, with the race season on the mainland kicking off, and my determination to keep trying, because I LOVE CYCLOCROSS, I am mentally telling myself that I'm OK with losing. I'm OK with bringing up the back of the pack. If I can get to the point where I am no longer getting lapped by my own field, then I'll be happy. If I can get comfortable getting passed by the elite men, I'll be happy. If I can be content knowing that I'm not going to podium, I'll be happy. I know that each year, with more training and effort, I will get better, faster and stronger. Maybe 2017 isn't my year to shine, but perhaps 2018 will be a bit brighter.

On that note, ladies, I urge you to reconsider which category you'll be racing this year. Take a look at your lap times and compare them to the people you're racing. Are you faster than they are? If you're in the beginner field, are you tired of racing just 30 minutes? That extra 15 in the Intermediate race gives you more time to play on your bike and reach for hand ups! If you're in the Intermediate field, have you managed to podium a few times? Are you sandbagging? I urge you to CAT UP! Even if you know you won't be at the front of the pack of your new field, if we all re-consider our categories and move-up as needed, we'll all have someone to race. Besides, I'm sure you don't want to be the one that everyone mutters about under their breath, as you take ANOTHER podium, you sandbagger, you. ;)

Let's keep the women's CX racing alive and well, and let's keep it growing. Encourage your friends to come out and try CX! There are so many clinics and camps to choose from, that no one should be left out. Are you on the island? Great! Come ride CX with me!

The take-home tidbit of my story today is this: you won't get better by staying stationary, and getting better takes time and hard work. There's no shame in coming last, or not being top 5. Challenge yourself by CAT-ING UP and come play bikes with me.

See you all at Donkey CX and Ladysmith this weekend!

You Might Also Like

0 comments