Race Report // WTNC Glenlyon, May 17

4:08 PM

To start off, I just had a nice, relaxing long weekend.

I spent the last few days on Vancouver Island with my two favourite men. We camped in Tofino, hiked beaches, drank Tofino's locally made beer, cooked gourmet meals over the camp fire, slept on the ground (I, literally did...my camping mat had a hole), and were guests at a good friend of mine's wedding at a private beach. It was a beautiful weekend. Not only did my man dress up in a dress shirt and pants, but my dog wore a bow tie!

We came back and got back into our normal routine for Monday. I had hoped to go for a ride since we hadn't been on bikes all weekend, but our bodies just said 'no.' We listened.

Come Tuesday, I was itching to be out on my bike. It was one of those mornings where you just want to call in sick so that you can spend all day riding and adventuring. Ok, that's everyday. Who am I kidding?

After work the sun was shining and the summer weather felt amazing! We rode to Glenlyon and spent the pre-race minutes warming up.

Lined up for the women's cat-4 6:30 P.M. race time, and I could feel my tummy grumbling and being unhappy. It was a long day for me at work - due to working outside the office, I missed lunch. I tried to gobble down some food at 5 P.M. before riding to the race....bad idea!!

The women's cat-4 group headed out, following behind the cat-4 and cat-5 men.

The pace on the ride out to the first corner was pretty fast, which was unusual.

I managed to spend my time at all sorts of different positions, trying to keep an eye on the series points leader for our category - watching her movements. I figure I still have a lot to learn from some of these women.

We were passed by one of the men's groups and did a much better job at neutralizing as a pack this time. Still not perfect.

We didn't really have any laps mentioned on the lap board until we got to the last lap. I figured that at our current pace, this would be plenty of time to get myself moved up a few positions. I wanted to finish in the top ten this time...

I could hear the Pender Racing girls yelling at each other to form a line so they could pull through as a team. Everyone else seemed silent and concentrated. As we neared the final corner before the home stretch, I made sure to find a comfortable spot mid-pack.  After turning the corner, I noticed a group of women forming a four-pack and moving up and away from the front together. I was comfortably in the top ten at this point, but I decided to jump in with the four of them. Why not go for a top five?

Still, nearly at the finish line and although the pace had quickened, it was not nearly a sprint.

So, I did what any young, eager, inexperienced racer would.

I jumped out in front of the group and started to sprint.

As fast and hard as my legs would take me. Hands in the drops. Pain face game on.

I sprinted.

And sprinted.

And then I realized just how far away the finish line was.

So I kept sprinting.

And a girl jumped out from behind me and took the lead.

I didn't pay much attention. I couldn't give up at this paint. I told my legs to shut-up.

Another girl came up beside me, and we challenged each other to the finish line.

She made it ahead of me by inches! Just inches! And secured herself a second place finish.

I happily, and exhaustedly, settled into third place.

My body felt as if it had exploded, but I was so happy! Yes, I may have been premature on my sprint to the finish, but I gave it my best shot. By no means am I the fastest women in that racing category, but I kept the idea of strategy in the front of my mind for that race. I experimented and took advantage of the opportunity. And it paid off.

So, I'm happy to be on the points board. I don't expect to finish like that every race, but I'd be pretty happy to stay in the top ten.

Next week is the UBC crit.

#bringiton

P.S. Yes, I know. "Exhaustedly" is not a real word.

You Might Also Like

0 comments