4 Peaks 4 Parkinson's is 4 Days Away

12:00 PM





Well, folks, the 4 Peaks 4 Parkinson's ride is less than a week away. Four days, to be exact. I've been training since I signed up almost two months ago, and I feel pretty confident about being able to complete the ride.

In two months, I have managed to set new personal records on a few of the routes I ride - including the climb up Mt. Seymour (PR 1 hr 10 min) and even the Spanish Banks hill climb out by UBC. My longest ride to date is now 133km, and I've climbed over 2,000 m in one day...I know these aren't by any means the biggest and best numbers for riders in this city - there are many much stronger riders around than I - but these are big numbers for me.

I'm proud of how much progress I'm making. I'm proud that I have taken on this challenge, and I have kept up with what I needed to do to complete it.

I'm always amazed with how capable we are as human beings. We are strong and resilient and adaptable. We have so many talents, so long as we put them to use.



While my life has not been directly affected by Parkinson's disease, I know there are many people out there that know someone with the disease, or have it themselves. I do know, that Parkinson's appears in people when the cells the produce dopamine die. If you're not aware, dopamine is a chemical that carries signals between the nerves and the brain --- it controls movement. Without dopamine, the body's muscles become rigid, slow, and stiff.

Imagine. Imagine that you were not able to go for a run, or a bike ride, or a hike. Or even perform some of the more simple tasks of every day life such as folding laundry, giving someone a hug, scratching your back. Imagine that. Yes, Parkinson's affects people at different rates, but Parkinson's has no cure.

Exercise and movement can help manage the symptoms of Parkinson's - so I actually think it's very suiting that we will be out riding our bikes on Sunday in support of 4p4pd. Knowing these facts about Parkinson's disease makes me extremely thankful to be able to ride my bike almost daily. I feel thankful that I am of good health. Isn't it amazing how often and quickly we can take life for granted?

So, 4 Peaks for Parkinson's is only four days away.

If you have the means to make a financial contribution to my ride and to the cause, I would be very appreciative. You can donate by going to this link: http://4peaks.kintera.org/redridesbikes

 If you can't donate financially, it's okay. I would still love your support and encouragement on the day of the ride. I'm still a bit nervous about this undertaking, because it's the biggest and longest ride I will have done. Come out and cheer on all the riders on Sunday June 5. The ride begins at McDonald's on the Lougheed Highway. We'll be riding up Burnaby Mountain, Seymour, Grouse and Cypress. The event finishes at Novo Pizzeria on W Broadway in Vancouver. I expect to complete the ride in 6-7 hours, just to give you an idea of timing.

You Might Also Like

0 comments