Race Report // Whistler CX

10:00 AM

September 24 / September 25, 2016

Ok. Today, I was a tad tired.
Las Vegas and CrossVegas took a lot out of me. Our flight landed in Vancouver around 1:00 AM on Saturday, we got our luggage, got a cab and got home around 2:00 AM. We did laundry (because we needed clean kits), unpacked, showered and finally made it to bed somewhere around 3:00 AM.

We woke up around 7:30 - 8:00 AM. Yes, it was literally just a nap that we got to enjoy.

We started getting out the camping gear, assembled the bikes, and started getting ready for the drive to Whistler.
We were both tired. Both hungry. And I wanted to race both days in Whistler (Saturday and Sunday races). Well, it didn't seem that I was getting my way, because we were running late. So I got more grumpy and pushy and impatient. I was ready to bite off anyone's head if they tried to f*** with my plans.
I drove as fast as I could without being too over the speed limit.
We arrived in Whistler just as the Intermediate race was beginning...of course, this is the one event of the series that the Intermediate race isn't last. So, I was frustrated and upset that I didn't get to go play. I was watching the race, and missing out on the fun. Oh well...guess it means that I can drink beer instead!
We watched the intermediate and elite race on day 1 in Whistler. There were a lot of mechanical issues and flat tires. The reports from racers where that it was really bumpy in the back section on the ski hill. Flat tires were becoming the norm. We heckled and shouted and hollered at all the racers from a good viewing spot at the top of a hill.
I tried to suck up my grumpiness and get over it, knowing that I would get to race Sunday instead.
We set up our tent at the camp ground, got changed and rode our bikes into the Village to find some food. Got cozy in at a little place I had (somehow) never seen before. Indulged in beef brisket slathered poutine, hearty venison pasta, and local craft beer. It was barely 8:00 PM.

We rode our bikes back to the campsite in the cold, rainy, dark night. I kept every single layer of clothing on (aside from my shoes) when we snuggled into the sleeping bags. There was no way I was going to freeze...

Whistler Day 2

In the morning, we packed up and got ready to go race. Breakfast was found at Tim Horton's....some kind of bagel sandwich with egg and bacon on it. My stomach was not too happy with this choice.
The Intermediate race started around noon. I was amped. I wasn't too sore or tired (since we were in bed so early) and my legs were feeling ready. The race was quiet, and there were only a handful of us on the course. A few of the women had raced the day before, and a couple of us were new for the day.
The commissionaire of the race read us our rights and laid down the rules. It was all pretty strict and seemed as if it would be heavily enforced. Then they started the countdown, following the men's Intermediate send off, and they blew the whistle for us to start.


The race was about the norm for the most part. A couple of the stronger/faster women off at the front, far ahead from where I could catch up. Then myself and a few women fighting off the back. I wasn't sure if the woman I was on the wheel of was racing Masters or Intermediate, but I wasn't taking a chance. I knew she and I were in the third and the fourth position, and I wanted that podium. I chased and I chased and I chased. I was so close most of the time, that I was pretty much touching her wheel. When I would pass, she would catch up. I'd pass her on corners, and then she would pass me on the flats/straights/downhills. I'd pass her again on a corner, she'd pass me. It was a great back and forth battle, and it really got me excited.




For the first time in my cyclocross racing history (in a year, pretty much...) I got a flat tire. In the back section where everyone said it was bumpy and was causing flats. I got a flat tire. I was so far away from the pits, and would have had to run a looooong way, and didn't have any spare wheels in the pits (let alone any equipment in the pits) so it would mean having to change the flat.
I chose to not finish. A first for me, ever.

I watched the woman I was racing keep going until she got around the corner. I made my way off the course and cheered on the rest of the racers. There was only a few laps left to go.







I was feeling a bit down, but I was still pretty happy. I had a good run of the race, I provided some entertainment to the spectators and a challenge to the women I was racing. Of all the reasons I could have had to quit a race, having a mechanical issue is by far (to me) the most acceptable...aside from, well, a major injury.
I headed straight for the pub and ordered a beer. It was time to be a spectator again. It was time to enjoy the race, ring the cowbell, and be happy that I've had such an eventful last 9 days. I manged to do four cyclocross races in nine days, in two countries and four different cities. My travels included two ferries, two plane trips, multitudes of taxis, currency exchanges and countless kilometres covered.

If you're just tuning in now to my 9 day race vacation, you can catch the other posts here:

Race 1 - Top of the Rock CX
Race 2 - DEVO Donkey CX
Race 3 - CrossVegas 2016
Race 4 -- you're reading it
Hope you're looking forward to more reports and tales of my cycling life.

You Might Also Like

0 comments