Training Update // Progressing On Rides

4:03 PM





The last couple weeks have been a blur. The older I get, the faster time seems to slip by. A weekend passes, then it's been a month, then it's been a quarter of a year! It's hard to keep up sometimes. I postpone doing some mundane chore, thinking I'll do it in a week....and then BOOM! It's been a couple months and it's still not completed.

Oh to learning new ways.

The biggest thing I'm realizing is how much effort I'll need to put towards my training if I want to see great success in such a short period of time. No lollygagging for me!

Increasing my efforts included eating a plate of vegetables. I believe most people call this a 'salad' - but I prefer to refer to it as a plate of crud. Seriously. I know it's healthy and good for you...but where are the fries?!? The donuts?? The chocolate? ....and you think I'm joking!

The best part of getting back into a training mindset is getting outside on my bike. The spring weather is perfect for riding and there's not much better than having the fresh air blowing in your face while you race around on the roads. Being able to explore the city and stay fit is just a bonus.

Last week, my goal was to make my long ride of the week at least 60km and get in half of a hill. Corey and I pedalled out to Whytecliff and then headed up Cypress - I stopped at the main lookout to preserve my legs for the race on Sunday. We cycled just over 78km that day, surpassing my goal.

This week, my goal was to make my long ride 70km and get up an entire hill..but since I crushed last week's goal, I figure I might as well step it up a notch. I'm going to aim for a minimum of 80km and one hill, probably Seymour. I won't be racing this weekend, but I do have a few other commitments, so I'll be stoked if I get into the gym or out for a shorter ride on Sunday.

I've already clocked over 99km this week from my nightly rides, including hill repeats on Camosun and Stanley Park laps. Last night I managed to get a new Personal Record on a lap of Stanley Park, finishing at 18.50 minutes, with an average speed working out to about 29km/hr...not too spiffy!

Well, I'm happy to say that my goals are on track; though, as I was doing Prospect Point in Stanley Park last night, for the second lap and hardest push I gave it, I realized just how hard 4 Peaks will be....I mean, goodness....what am I getting myself into!?? I'll be very impressed and happy when I finish that ride that day - I'm sure it will be a gruelling one.

Until next time!

You Might Also Like

0 comments