Race Report // WTNC - UBC June 21

9:39 AM

Another night, another race.

The weather held out, yet again, and the rain didn't come pouring down.

The women's cat-4 field wasn't overly large this time, and a number of women have moved up into the cat 1-2-3 group.

The roll out at the start of the race was friendly enough, though I got stuck behind a girl who just couldn't figure out how to turn a corner without cutting it...and I had to brake in the corner to avoid being smushed into the sidewalk. Not fun.

I was still feeling pretty tired from my venture to Victoria (write up still to come) and the 300km I had rode over the weekend. I could feel the soreness in my legs and I knew I wouldn't have the most power to sprint at the finish. As much as I tried to stay near the front of the group I kept getting stuck behind or beside some unsure riders, who left me feeling as if they would cause a crash. People cutting corners and not holding their lines made the already tricky corners on this UBC course a pain.

The bell lap for the prime (preme?) sounded, and the pace quickened as per the norm. There's one woman that always snakes her way from the back to the front and sprints to get that lap and point - usually, the group will manage to re-form after that lap. This time, that didn't happen, and the sprinters kept going and got a good lead on the rest of the group.

Just after that, the women's cat-4 was being overtaken and passed by the men's group, and we were to neutralize. The two women that I was next to DID NOT neutralize (yet again, recurring issue) and took advantage of the situation. The women from behind me did not signal that they were racing again, and took advantage of passing a number of us. CHEAP. Taking advantage of situations is not a nice thing to do. Play nice!

I honestly started to just feel frustrated with the whole race, the poor neutralization and the break up of the pack. I let the frustration get to me. I let it eat at me and affect my performance. It wasn't until the last two laps that I snapped out of it, refocused on racing, and started to try and actually get around the riders who were 'blocking' me in, and try to get closer to the front of our now very small group.

Last lap I did my best to move up some more and hold a better position for the sprint to the finish. I finished in 9th place. I didn't have much of a pain face. I didn't suffer as much as I could have. I didn't push myself hard enough.

Next week I will return, with better rested legs and a better attitude. I will remind myself that I cannot change some things, so I must learn to accept and adapt.

You Might Also Like

0 comments