Training Update - 4 Weeks to Go

11:37 AM

The 4 Peaks 4 Parkinson's ride is only 4 weeks away, and my training is still coming along well. Last weekend I made a plan to tackle two of the four hills I would be riding during 4 Peaks. It was a perfect weekend to do so, since the weather was planning on being pleasant.

I met up with my riding team, Atomic Racing, on Saturday morning at 9am - brought along my manfriend too, so he could get a taste for the Atomic style. ;) We all rolled out together just after 9am towards Stanley Park from Yaletown. We did a partial Stanley Park lap, and exited out onto Lions Gate Bridge going North. Once across the bridge we took some winding roads and headed out East towards Deep Cove where we took a few minute break and a group picture.

From Deep Cove, half of the group went to Indian River Road, and the other half of us started climbing up Seymour Mountain. The folks that did Indian River Road carried on up Seymour Mountain afterwards...and they got to the top of Seymour nearly as quickly as we did!!

I managed a personal record climbing Seymour on Saturday, with a time of 1 hour and 10 minutes. I've shaved off a lot of time from that climb since the first time I went up there. Proud of myself.

We regrouped at the bottom of Seymour Mountain for a coffee and to decide what to do next....and we happened to bump into Corey's team, CrossRoad Racing. Some of their team were heading over to climb Cypress....and, well, I have trouble saying 'no' so we joined in too!

We all rode together, and we went over to West Van, up through the British Properties and out onto Cypress. It was a lot of climbing that day and the sun was pretty darn hot. My legs were tired and I had barely enough energy to get out of the saddle and push hard by the end of the ride. Needless to say, I was really happy to finish riding that day, get down the mountain and back home.

It was a great day! I rode 125 km - biggest ride I've done so far! Climbed nearly 3000m in elevation. Scored a ton of personal records and trophies/medals on Strava. I'm feeling good about the 4 Peak's challenge...I can do it!

Sunday, I was up at 5:30am to meet up with a new team I'll be training for the Ride to Conquer Cancer with...the Silver Bullets. This is a team put together by Silver Wheaton, the title sponsor for the Ride to Conquer Cancer 2016. We had a 7am training ride around Richmond and Steveston. By the time I got home at 11:30 I had rode 90km and my legs were mush.

I refused to sit on my bike on Monday. My butt was not happy.

Next weekend, I plan to ride at least 3 mountains on Saturday. Sunday will be an easier ride, perhaps even try and get a mountain bike rental for a change.

What's the biggest ride you've completed? Most elevation climbed in one segment?

#challengeaccepted

You Might Also Like

0 comments